The fourth of July is one such holiday, with no shortage of alcoholic beverages, chips and dips, indulgent potato salads, fancy patriotic desserts, s'mores and lots and lots of sitting around. While there are healthier options for some of the fan favorites, like your Grandmother's famous onion dip, when we just talk about those substitutions we overlook the bigger picture...
Enjoying time with friends and family does not need to be all about food.
Eh, I know...that's a total #buzzkill statement, but isn't it true?
Here are some ways to enjoy a holiday vacation without a laser focus on food:
- Take a long walk on the beach with a friend you haven't seen in a while
- Head paddle boarding with a sibling
- Enjoy sand castle building/wave riding with your kids
- Catch up with family over a campfire
- Take in a fireworks display
- Make up and compete in an independence day workout with friends
- Grab a quiet early morning cup of coffee and stroll with a parent you haven't seen in a while
- Take some space for solo time through meditation/yoga to reconnect with your values
I always used to run in the opposite direction from my health routine while on vacation. But, like clockwork, I'd also always end up feeling worse than when I started.
Perhaps we can transition from breaking from our healthy routines during our vacation to actually enhancing our healthy routine, i.e. finding movement that's fun and finding tastes that are satisfying but don't leave us full of regret.
For my private and community coaching gals, I always recommend that they bring a dish that fits our #PowerFilter. This is a meal that's tasty as hell but with plenty of protein, fiber and water to satisfy and keep us fuller for longer so we're not reaching for all the treats.
HERE ARE 4 (plus a special bonus!) 4TH OF JULY FAT-LOSS RECIPES FOR YOU TO TRY:
- 2, 14-oz cans petite diced tomatoes (or, 4-6 fresh roma tomatoes chopped)
- 4, chopped boneless and skinless grilled chicken breasts
- 1, 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 14-oz can corn, drained (optional)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 4 cubanelle peppers, 1diced and 3 cut into large pieces (simulating a tortilla scoop chip).
- 1/2 tsp. garlic minced or tested (tip: use a lemon zester!)
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced (and one zested)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tabasco
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black cracked pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together tomatoes, black beans, corn, onion, avocado, pepper, and garlic.
- Dress with extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Serve on top of mixed greens or lettuce or eat as a dip with cubanelle pepper "chips".
KALE CAESAR SALAD
- 6 cups of kale (spine removed and chopped, about 2 bunches)
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/8 c. parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- 3 tsp. anchovy paste or one container of anchovy filets, drained
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Into a blender, add lemon juice and zest, garlic, cheese, anchovies and pepper. Pulse to combine, adding EVOO until you reach your desired consistency.
- Dress kale with mixture and with clean hands, massage the kale for several minutes to combine all the ingredients.
- Either serve immediately or let sit in the fridge for several hours before serving.
- 4 cups of white cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced thin
- 2/3 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey or 1-2 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 tsp celery seed
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- pumpkin seeds
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey/stevia, celery seed, s+p. Whisk to combine (or pulse in a small blender).
- In a small pan over med-high heat, roast pumpkin seeds until fragrant being sure to toss periodically (this will only a few minutes). Remove to cool.
- Top slaw with cooled pumpkin seeds and stir.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat greek yogurt
- ½ cup organic mayonnaise
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 dash of paprika
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. cracked pepper
- 1/2 scallion, chopped
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the avocado oil.
- Add the onion and a sprinkle of sea salt and cook until soft and brown (caramelized) about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir in with onions for a minute until fragrant. Remove onion and garlic and cool.
- In a blender, combine greek yogurt, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, paprika and black pepper. Add the cooled onion and garlic mixture. Pulse for a few seconds to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until cool.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve with homemade sweet potato chips or cucumber slices.
"OAR NAUT" TEQUILA COCKTAIL - YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!
Ok so this isn't a fat-loss recipe but it's a damn good cocktail that you might want to enjoy alongside that #PowerFilter meal. If you love margaritas, try this variation my husband and I created.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz. St. Germaine liquor
- 1 oz. tequila
- 5 oz. plain seltzer
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and mix in all the ingredients. Shake to combine.
- Pour cocktail over ice and serve with a fresh lime wedge.
Happy 4th of July! I wish you a safe, fun and relaxing holiday!
For more insights and tips on fat-loss and healthy living from Jess, sign up HERE for weekly emails full of recipes, workouts and motivation for the busy woman!